Monday, October 29, 2018

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (2018)

Sorry I've been absent the past few days. I've been catching up on the brand-new Netflix series, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (2018).

Sabrina the teenage witch is about to turn 16. As a part of her witch upbringing, she is required to attend a dark baptism, wherein she'll agree to become a full witch (she's half witch, half mortal). But she discovers that her baptism comes at the price of her freedom. Will she sign away her name to the Dark Lord Himself and expand her magical powers, or will she choose the path of a mortal life?

This is a much darker retelling of the Sabrina the Teenage Witch story. Unlike the previous TV series, which was a fun comedy, this one has death and gore and drama, with little sprinkles of dark humor. In this version, witches lean heavily on the side of evil, with Sabrina being an outlier who prefers to follow a more righteous path (partly due to her mortal half). Her high school friends and boyfriend help keep her true to her beliefs, much to the dismay of the Church of Night (her unholy coven), who would wish she lose all contact with mortal life and accept her "true" place in the world.

This series is actually based on a comic book series of the same name, published by Archie Comics in 2014. I haven't read it yet, but I'm curious how similar the two are.

Personally, I loved this series but hated the ending. I won't spoil it, but let's just say it wasn't satisfying for me, personally, and may prevent me from watching any more. I might watch the second season (if/when it's released next year) in the hopes that they remedy the twist at the end. But if not... I feel like the series is ruined and I can't watch any more. Hopefully you enjoy it more than I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment